My friend Thom and I were talking a while back, and we cooked up this idea. The rules will change in future versions, but the first round should be easy, and I think (even given the short notice), other people can join in easily. Here goes:
1) Figure out a rough budget of what it'd cost to live for a week.
2) Take that money out of the bank as cash.
3) Live for that week avoiding your credit and debit cards, checks, money orders, I.O.U.'s, etc.
4) Write observations as you see fit.
5) If you have to, you can use the credit or debit card, but you must announce you're out of the challenge (public being loosely defined as somewhere others can see it, such as a blog)
Future challenges may up the ante, like more restrictive budgets or longer timespans.
Me, I budgeted $100 for the week. Thom went more austere than that, but more power to him.
Think about joining in, it could be fun.
Challenge #1 will be rolling from March 7, 2010 to March 13, 2010.
Think you can do a week?