I like stuff.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Pop Will Eat Itself

Further ramblings from the "Music You Might Not Know" department.

I think Pop Will Eat Itself was another band I'd learned of from my brother. I don't remember the specifics, but I can recall listening to "This is the Day...This is the Hour...This is This." one late night while working on a sculpture that would've been 1995, so short of carbon dating, that's the best estimate I can give. I do recall that I snagged it out of the used bin at the now defunct Top Ten Records (remember when independent record stores thrived?)

Hey look, an interview clip:


This is the Day is still my favorite of their albums that I've heard. How can you not appreciate lyrics like this:

This isn't love
It's just cheap entertainment,
The stains on the sheet and the crap on the pavement

(Preaching to the Perverted)

Anyhow, they eventually went downhill. Some say it was because after they signed to Nothing Records, Trent got too heavy-handed in producing them. Some say they were just introducing too many new elements in their sound. Some say their time had come and gone. Either way, "Dos Dedos Mis Amigos!", their final album was easily the least interesting to me, with a few good moments sprinkled in here or there, but not enough to recommend to anyone.

Here's one of their videos from the This is the Day years:


BONUS:
Clint Mansell (who you see in both the interview clip and the video) does a lot of film score now, and you might've heard of some of his work in films like Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Smokin' Aces, and yes, Doom (though I don't think anyone watched that last one)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another band of whom I had not heard. I admire the exploratory nature of sound.

The last video made me itchy.

Anonymous said...

OH YEAH!

Happy Thanksgiving !

transiit said...

well, as long as somebody's learnin' something they find interesting, I'll keep these up.