I like stuff.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Everything Changes

I picked up the new Pigface album the other day and have been listening to it. Sure, it seems a little sloppier and more rushed than past releases, but there's a sense of something else I think I'm detecting.

It feels very much like a requiem for a musical scene (largely Chicago Industrial) that just isn't what it used to be. I can hear echoes of it in this recording, but whether it was the liner note suggesting that it was likely the last Pigface album or I've changed, I don't know.

There's a few songs I like, but maybe I'm just getting too old to identify with it anymore. Songs like "I Hate You In Real Life Too" might've stuck better with me a decade ago. "6.6.7.11" wasn't interesting at all and sounded a lot like something I could record in an afternoon. Liked "Mercenary", "The Good, The Bad and The Druggly" (though it could've been a lot tighter), I think my favorite is "Up and Down"

So not to make this sound like a review, but it had its high and low points. Just odd to me that it comes across as so much of an epilogue to a past chapter.

No comments: